Winners of the 40th annual Scottish Press Awards are being unveiled at a ceremony at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central tonight (Thursday 25th April 2019).
The first set of awards* announced has seen The Herald and The Scotsman each scoop two prizes, with Barry Didcock and Neil Mackay from The Herald being crowned Arts and Entertainment Journalist of the Year and Columinst of the Year, and The Scotsman’s feature writers Dani Garavelli and Aidan Smith being honoured as Feature Writer of the Year and Sports Feature Writer of the Year.
Carla Jenkins from The Sunday Times has won Young Journalist of the Year, with Graham Huband from The Courier recognised as Financial/Business Journalist of the Year. David Clegg has won Political Journalist of the Year again this year for the wide variety of stories he covered which led the news agenda during what has been an eventful time for politics.
Getty Images also scooped two awards, with Jeff Mitchell and Ian MacNicol crowned News and Sports Photographer of the Year.
Austin Lafferty, Chair of the Judges for the Scottish Press Awards, said:
The press and media industry continues to change. The new model is a multi-platform, fast-moving online offering to targeted audiences, but traditional newspapers are not dying – they are re-forging successful ways of presenting news, analysis, features and lifestyle material. One thing’s for sure from a judging perspective. The quality of output has never been higher.
The full list of winners so far is as follows:
- Young Journalist of the Year
- Carla Jenkins The Sunday Times
- Arts and Entertainment Journalist of the Year
- Barry Didcock The Herald and The Herald on Sunday
- Interviewer of the Year
- Peter Ross
- Political Journalist of the Year
- David Clegg Daily Record
- Columnist of the Year
- Neil Mackay The Herald and The Herald on Sunday
- Sports Columnist of the Year
- Stephen McGowan Scottish Daily Mail
- Financial/Business Journalist of the Year
- Graham Huband The Courier
- Feature Writer of the Year
- Dani Garavelli Scotland on Sunday and The Scotsman
- Sports Feature Writer of the Year
- Aidan Smith The Scotsman
- Sports News Writer of the Year
- Andrew Devlin The Scottish Sun
- News Photographer of the Year
- Jeff Mitchell Getty Images
- Sports Photographer of the Year
- Ian MacNicol Getty Images
* The full list of this year’s winners will be announced later tonight
Please note: photographs are to follow from Jeff Holmes and two more press releases will be issued later this evening announcing the local weekly paper winners and then the full list of winners, including Journalist of the Year and Newspaper of the Year.
Issued by BIG Partnership on behalf of the Scottish Press Awards. For more information, please contact Lauren Gaston on 0141 333 9585, 07710 700 322, or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
Established by the Scottish newspaper industry in 1978, the Scottish Press Awards is a prestigious annual event which showcases the best journalistic talent in Scotland. More information can be found at www.scotns.org.uk